Edit locks

We’re having an intermittent problem with edit locks. Occasionally someone wants to open a window but cannot, the error message stating that another user has it open. However, the other user closed that window several minutes before and has since saved. The only way to release the edit locks is to close the Designer. We haven’t been able to find a repeatable sequence of events to make this happen reliably - with a number of developers going in and out of numerous files it’s proving hard to track down.

I have attached a screenshot showing the edit locks for a particular Designer - this was despite there being no windows open in the Designer at all.

What version of Ignition are you using?

7.5.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit.

One quick thought: Do you happen to be in the habit of leaving the find/replace window open? That window will cause a designer to hold edit locks.

Other than that we can look into this on our end, but without being able to narrow down what will reproduce it our chance of success is pretty small.

We use find/replace sometimes, but I’m sure that this issue has been observed without find/replace being used at all.

In any case, the locks are not released, even when all windows have been closed, including find/replace.

In the cases where the window has been closed and the project saved, have you tried the Update Project feature in the designer that you are getting the edit lock message in? In the designer File -> Update Project.

Certainly. We normally have 2-3 developers working concurrently so save/update to release locks is part of our normal workflow.

Note that (as the screenshot shows) the gateway still considers the lock to be held by the original designer, so an update on the new designer won’t help.

I have been trying to replicate this here without success. Can you give me a sequence of steps that will allow me to reproduce this every time?

Unfortunately we haven’t been able to find a repeatable sequence of events to make this happen reliably - with a number of developers going in and out of numerous files it’s proving hard to track down.

I agree. I started testing this morning. I was able to reproduce the problem on the first try. After I restarted both of my designers I was not able to reproduce this at all.

Can you confirm these are the steps your using

1. Close the window
  2. When the “Commit Changes?” window appears select yes
  3. Select “Save” or “Save and Publish” (depending on how the project is configured)
  4. In the other designer select “Update Project”
  5. Open the window that was previously open in the other designer.

Yes, that’s the process we are using. Like you, we have found that the problem only occurs occasionally.

If we manage to identify a pattern we will let you know.

Thank you