Rasberry Pi

Where’s Kyle at? I know he’s been playing with it with some success. Haven’t heard the full review yet, though.

I’ll post tonight. I have the server running and connecting to 2000 tags through modbus. I’ll post more tonight though

Are you running as a headless server? Is the L2 cache enabled?

I am running the headless jvm, as headful java is only supported on an ARMv7 architecture. Im still trying to find time to do the write up, so hopefully soon.

Model B now ships with 512MB of RAM
Posted on October 15, 2012 by eben
Update: Those of you lucky enough to receive a 512MB Pi this morning can download updated firmware here. For example, download arm384_start.elf and rename it to start.elf on /boot partition. You will then have a 384M/128M memory split.

One of the most common suggestions we’ve heard since launch is that we should produce a more expensive “Model C” version of Raspberry Pi with extra RAM. This would be useful for people who want to use the Pi as a general-purpose computer, with multiple large applications running concurrently, and would enable some interesting embedded use cases (particularly using Java) which are slightly too heavyweight to fit comfortably in 256MB.

The downside of this suggestion for us is that we’re very attached to $35 as our highest price point. With this in mind, we’re pleased to announce that from today all Model B Raspberry Pis will ship with 512MB of RAM as standard. If you have an outstanding order with either distributor, you will receive the upgraded device in place of the 256MB version you ordered. Units should start arriving in customers’ hands today, and we will be making a firmware upgrade available in the next couple of days to enable access to the additional memory.

I’d like to thank our partners, RS Components and element14/Premier Farnell, and the suppliers, particularly Samsung, Sony and Broadcom, for all their help in delivering a smooth transition to the 512MB. I’m looking forward to seeing what you all get up to with your shiny new Pis.

Woot! Three cheers, and a tiger for me!
Using OpenJDK6 and Cacao.

Very impressive Jordan! We currently use rather expensive Panel PCs a lot (units with a touchscreen and PC in one box). If the Raspberry Pi is suitable we will be able to do this for not much more than the price of the touchscreen itself - and run Linux!

There are still things to work out.

A) It’s really slow starting a client when made to autorun-- even if it’s run before.

B) On our “normal” projects, like below-- well, it just chokes. :laughing: Eight minutes to finally load values-- until you navigate to another screen. Then you gotta wait some more!

In short, it’s ok-ish for very small, very non-critical apps, like the pace counter above. Otherwise, it’s darn near crappy to use.

As time permits, I’ll play with this some more and try to make it as minimalist as possible. See how much less painful we can make it.

Very cool!!!

I had an idea…
Would you consider sharing an sd image with a working configuration?
It would be even cooler if IA could host it on their site…
Or doing a how to write up?

Very good work!

Yeah, I’ll host an image somewhere, when I get some more free time-- now, what month was this again… :laughing:

All right, since I can’t seem to be satisfied with any file hosting sites, I’ve decided to stick it in my Dropbox account. This will not be it’s final resting place, as I use Dropbox for all my current projects and drawings, and-- quite frankly-- this takes up a lot of room (about 490MB)…

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/72264587/Raspi_OpenJVM6.7z

Let’s not let the thread degenerate into which hosting service you prefer or a bunch of links to different file hosting sites. Start another thread for that. :wink:

Enjoy!

Jordan,

Very excellent sir! Thank you.
I flashed the image as soon as I got home today. I finally hit my gateway page with midori!!
I am about 10 minutes into the launch and I am still waiting to see my client launch but this is
the most success I have seen with the gooseberry!
It is finally on “initializing scripting” as I am typing this. Regardless of its lag. It appears to work.
OMG it just came up to the log in. Guess what. Total bummer I get to wait again because I have to reset
the trial LOL. Next time I will test on a fresh reset…
I hope to post up a pic here in a few minutes…or hours…

Here is a quick pic of the only project actually on my gateway at the moment. Its one of the demo projects obviously… It runs!
Awesome job Jordan. Thanks again for hosting your image!

Hello Jordan,

Wow, nice work, I want to try this myself. Just one question:
Did you do this with the Model A (256MB) or Model B (512MB) of Rasperry Pi?

Best Regards

This is with the Model B. It was fun getting it to work, just not fun waiting for the startup time! :laughing:

EDIT: Just discovered this on the RasPi forums:

by plugwash » 08 Feb 2013 12:11 Ok the new version of openjdk-6 including a working cacao is now in raspbian.

Right now I’m just too busy to play with it, but some smart fella (like tailfire, perhaps… hint hint :laughing: ) might be able to whip something together and let us know if it’s improved.

With Jordan Clark’s image I got a Pi to run an Ignition project. Seems to work pretty well except the startup time. Wish I could figure out how to speed that up.

Don’t run it on anemic hardware :wink:

I still haven’t picked one of these up yet… slacking.

The latest version of Ubuntu (13.04, out today) is claiming a lot of performance improvements due to work done to make it suitable for tablets, phones etc.

I wonder if these will filter out into the mainstream?

It's hard not to be attracted by the price. Lackluster performace would be fine for digital sinage and OEE displays.

I've overclocked the unit and have managed to decrease project startup time from 16 minitues to 10.