Tag Descriptions alongside Tags in the Tag Browser

I would like to see the tag descriptions (Documentation) in a field in the tag browsers to make tag selection easier.

You mean as a new optional column in the SQLTags browser? You’d better have a pretty wide screen or some short descriptions to make that work well…

Yes, (I do have a 27" wide screen) when the tagnames are not very descriptive it is nice to have at least some of the description visible. Usually my descriptions are only 5-10 words long.

It would be really handy if the AB drivers could pull the tag descriptions from RSLogix into a field like what was mentioned. I would assume that descriptions put in RSLogix would be the same as what would be put in the SQLTags browser. (see capture)

Fair enough!

Yeah, this would be nice. Not sure how easy/hard it is to pull those descriptions out of the processor.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that the descriptions are stored in the RSLogix file, not the PLC.

pretty sure you are correct.

Not that I am recommending this, but AB and some others pull the descriptions from the file, not the PLC. But that is not the point.

All I would like is to be able to search (visually or programatically) on description as well as tag name.

What I do now is double click on the tag that I think is the right one, and then try again.

fwiw, the tag descriptions are now available in the browser

Even Rockwell's FactoryTalk ME STUDIO does not have this feature with its Rslinx Enterprise Tag Browser

@Curlyandshemp - Welcome! Always good to see members from Plctalk and motorcycle enthusiasts.

Nathan,

thanks, also i am currently here in Folsom getting the Core training.
Need the training, as we are implementing more new Ignition apps, and we are currently on
our 3rd RSView32 -> Ignition conversion.

Love this product.

Awesome! Don’t be a stranger. These forums are a great resource!

[quote=“Curlyandshemp”]
Nathan,

thanks, also i am currently here in Folsom getting the Core training.
Need the training, as we are implementing more new Ignition apps, and we are currently on
our 3rd RSView32 -> Ignition conversion.

Love this product.[/quote]