Designer slows down and crashes when editing a report in 7.8

Ignition 7.8.0 (b2015101414)
Server Java 1.8.0_66-b17 on AWS Ubuntu instance
Worstation Java 1.8.0_65-b17 on Windows 7

After some work on a report and swapping back and forth between preview and design, the designer slows down and eventually locks up and has to be force stopped. Curiously, my clipboard also stops functioning when this happens…

How much memory do you have allocated to the designer? Reports, especially flipping between design and preview, chew up a lot of memory, and you can get to a spot where it doesn’t have enough memory to do the garbage collection in any decent amount of time (like it can take 20+ minutes) and everything appears frozen.

When I’m working on big reports, I try to use a machine were I can give the Designer 2 Gb of RAM and where I have multiple cores available (I’ve noticed a big difference using an 8 core machine vs 2, but I also have other things open at the same time). The client won’t need nearly this much horsepower, just the Designer.

Well the computer has a 6 cores and 32GB memory, but the designer had only 512M assigned. So I increased it to 4G and the designer wouldn’t start… it does start at 1G. Weird.

Either way, thanks!

[quote=“fledder”]Well the computer has a 6 cores and 32GB memory, but the designer had only 512M assigned. So I increased it to 4G and the designer wouldn’t start… it does start at 1G. Weird.

Either way, thanks![/quote]

That probably means you’ve got 32-bit Java installed. You can max it out at 1.5GB, or install 64-bit Java and use as much as you want.

You’d think that 16 years into the 21st century I wouldn’t have to deal with 32 vs 64… but here we are. Thanks all for the help!