Learn how to create custom automated e-mail alerts to be sent for specified alarms. Messages can then be retrieved via computer or phone, decreasing the response time to system events.
1) Open your project in the Ignition Designer.
2) For this example we need a single tag: alarm. In the SQLTags Browser panel expand the Tags folder. Let’s add the new DB SQLTag that will just be a memory value. In production you would use an OPC SQLTag. Right click on the Tags folder and select New Tag > DB Tag …
3) Name the tag
Alarm with a
Boolean datatype and
false as the default value.
4) Once created right click on the Alarm tag and select Edit Tag(s) …
5) Set up this tag as an alert. Select the Alerting tab on the left hand side.
6) Change the Alert Mode to
Digital as this is a digital alarm.
7) Change the Digital Properties to the following:
Those settings are saying the value is in alarm if it is equal to 1.
8) Below you will see the alert’s General Settings and Notification Settings. In the Notification Settings you can select the Message Mode: Auto-Generated or Custom. If you choose custom you can set the Subject and Body of the email to your own style using a combination of static text, tag values and alert properties. Change the Message Mode to
9) For the Subject and Body you can embed any of the alert properties or another tag’s value. To embed another tag’s value use the following syntax:
To embed alert properties use the following syntax:
Here is a list of all of the alert properties you can use:
For example make the Subject the following:
Make the Body the following:
10) That’s it! You can customize the subject and body however you like for each individual tag. Now just set the value of the Alarm tag to true to see your custom email.
Note *: You must have an Alert Notification Profile configured to receive email alerts. These profiles are configured in the Ignition Gateway Configuration website.