Like the challenge of a good puzzle? What about meaningful work that has a real-world impact on multiple industries? If you take pride in problem-solving, then imagine yourself rolling out solutions that are used by 57 percent of Fortune 100 companies.
We're looking for developers with Java experience to join our core product development team. The Senior Java Engineer I position translates technical concepts into high-performance production code and contributes to all stages of architectural design, development and testing. You'll be responsible for overall technical direction of a product area, and as such you'll roadmap development of new features and prioritize and resolve bugs.
The Ignition platform is changing industries like manufacturing, oil and gas, power and energy, and water management, to name a few. We're looking for experienced developers who enjoy a good challenge and can collaborate with others to solve complex issues. With a global community and an annual tech conference dedicated to Ignition, this is an opportunity at impactful work that solves problems and makes a difference.
You're probably passionate about puzzles, and particularly drawn to the challenge of solving them. You're motivated by meticulous details, drawn to interesting work with modern toolchains and source controls, and you feel inspired when given the room and support to be creative.
The ideal candidate for this role has multiple years of coding experience with Java programming fundamentals like object-oriented design, concurrency/multithreading, and a good understanding of data structures. Remote, hybrid and on-site opportunities are available for this role.
About the Role
The Senior Java Engineer I's job skills, qualifications, and responsibilities, include but are not limited to:
- Independently responsible for the entire lifecycle of projects or features including engineering design, development, and deployment
- Improving code structure and architecture in service of testability and maintainability
- Writing, co-writing, and reviewing design documentation
- Maintaining high proficiency in one or more technical areas
- Prioritizing and valuing unowned or undesirable work that enables the team to move faster
- Ensuring work meets quality standard
- Working with their team and adjacent teams to solve problems
- Escalating problems that have wider scope
- Assisting and teaching other engineers on an individual basis
- Completing thoughtful and constructive code reviews in a timely manner
- Meets and maintains 6 month performance milestones provided by their manager
- Responsible for one or more product areas or other IC leadership role (Product Lead, Scrum Master)
- [Product Lead] Understanding, vetting, and prioritizing all incoming defects and feature requests having to do with their product area, as well as taking an active role in the future big-picture planning.
- [Product Lead] Participating in the Product Lead Council to collaborate with various stakeholders interested in their product area. Making decisions and acting as a subject matter expert for their respective product area.
- [Product Lead] Authoring requests for comments (RFCs) for significant new product features or changes and working with stakeholders and the software engineering team to issue a final specification document upon ticket completion
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related study
- 3-5 years of software engineering or software development experience
- 2-4+ years of Java programming experience
- Object-oriented design experience
- Modern toolchain and source control familiarity, e.g. Git
- Familiarity with agile methodologies, e.g. SCRUM
- Experience in Java Concurrency/Multithreading
- Demonstrated experience with one or more of the following: Swing or JavaFX, Networking protocols, Security, including cryptography, certificates, and identity providers, Mobile application development (iOS and/or Android)
- A comprehensive understanding of computer science concepts and ability to apply expertise in object-oriented design, multi-threaded architecture, data structures, algorithms, and cybersecurity
- Hands-on programming experience using relevant languages (e.g., Java)
- Experience using relevant tool suites. (IntelliJ or equivalent, Git, Webpack)
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Passionate about building applications that delight users
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working on a team using agile methodologies
Based on the Sacramento region, the new hires minimum and maximum target salary for this role is $140k - $160k.
Inductive Automation’s ranges are market-driven and set to allow for flexibility. Although it is not typical for an individual to start at the top end of the range for the position, compensation decisions are dependent on: the facts and circumstances of each case, work location, job-related skills, experience, relevant education or training; and other business and organizational needs.
About UsWho are we?
Champions for industrial automation innovation and driven by a mission statement to empower our customers to swiftly turn great ideas into reality by removing all technological and economic obstacles, we create and deliver solutions that relieve pain points, bring efficiency to operations and optimize integration.Why Choose Inductive Automation?
Our passion goes beyond customers. We celebrate your personal and professional milestones, and we support our teams with meaningful work in a collaborative environment.
We find that great work-life balance inspires teams to do their best work and empowers people to live their best lives. That's why diversity, fun, and flexibility are ingrained into our work culture.
Good people can make a difference from anywhere, so Inductive Automation facilitates remote work flexibility from most locations in the U.S. We’ll provide you with the exciting work and high-quality computer equipment, and leave the "where" part up to you.
We honor 40-hour work weeks mindful of your local time. Plus, we keep you connected and engaged with virtual social events and professional development time baked into the schedule.
Benefits and Perks
- 100% Covered Health Care: Don’t pay a dime for your medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Remote Flexibility: Work from home, in our beautiful office, or a combination of both. It’s up to you
- Work/Life Balance: Create a work schedule that fits your needs and your local time zone
- Paid Time Off: Receive paid holidays, vacation, and sick time
- 401k with Match: Save for the future with our company-matching 401k program
- World-Class Headquarters: While on-site, enjoy complimentary snacks and beverages, then challenge a friend to a game of pool, table tennis, shuffleboard, or foosball
At this time, we are unable to offer employment for individuals located outside of the United States and/or those who require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B visa status). We know you've got a lot of options when seeking an employer where your skills and talents will shine, so we really appreciate that you considered us.
Inductive Automation, LLC is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and status as a protected veteran or individual with a disability. Verification of US employment eligibility required.
Discover the Perks
It’s simple: We pay 100% of your employee health plan—medical, dental and vision.
Find Your Balance
We want everyone to have a healthy work/life balance – that's why you get paid holidays, vacation, and sick time.
Our kitchen is always fully stocked with water, coffee, tea, soda, and every flavor of La Croix you can imagine.
Flex Your Time
Use flextime to make a schedule that fits your needs.
Start with Fresh Fruit Monday
Get a healthy start to your week by grabbing a piece of fruit in the cafe.
End with Snack Friday
We won’t send you into the weekend hungry, grab a snack in the cafe every Friday afternoon.
From standing desks to collaborative alcoves, find your ideal workspace.
Escape Your Workspace
Challenge a friend to a game of pool, table tennis, shuffleboard or foosball.
Every Spring you'll get a Golden Poppy Pass to explore the outdoors and discover 100+ destination parks.
Take in the View
Our new building is located on Lake Natoma in Folsom.
Go for a Ride
Grab an IA bike and hit the American River Parkway—it’s just a few feet from our backdoor.